Thursday, May 08, 2008

I'm a word nerd. I freely admit it. I use the big words, and I use them properly. My emails and text messages are always properly punctuated. I have made managers reprint menus, because of awful verbiage and spelling mistakes. I proofread things for people I know. I proofread stranger's words, too. I own and use Websters II, Garner's Modern Usage, Webster's Usage Dictionary and the AP Stylebook. I am kind of dick about this stuff. I suck at math, so it totally balances out. If you catch me being an asshole about grammar, just ask me to divide 4298/83 in my head. That'll shut me down.

Spelling, grammar and punctuation are lost art forms. I read several different blogs, which are dedicated to either linguistic origins or the utter misuse of words. But I have a special place in my heart for The "Blog" of "Unnecessary" Quotation Marks. It makes me giggle when people are trying to draw emphasis to a particular word, and just throw quotes around it. They belong around direct quotations!

I always wondered if I'd ever have a submission worthy of sending in to the site. Finally, someone passed me a note. Yay!

No comments: