Saturday, April 05, 2008

I don't want to forget about what happened to my friend. But I can't look at it anymore. My heart breaks for her each time I think about what she's been through. So I wanna not think about it for a bit.

Instead, I wanna talk about The Big Lebowski. I know I have mentioned it before, but it seems to be a cultural phenomenon. I have seen dissertations of its relevance on the 'tubes, and even in my Entertainment Weekly in recent weeks. Shuddup. I have subscribed to that magazine since 1994, I can't stop now.

It's a very important movie amongst my circle. If I say something like "eight-year-olds, Dude", and I don't catch a glimmer of a smile, I don't think you can be in my circle. If I hear a new detail to story I've already known, then new shit has come to light. If I accomplish a feat of magnificence, then nobody fucks with the Jesus. When Smang won't get out of bed, then I tell the dogs that Mr. Lebowski is in seclusion in the west wing.

The Mexican came over on Thursday. He was hanging on the couch, eating Brother's fried chicken with me & Smang. Could we be any more white trash? So anyway, we were watching the flick, pausing to discuss the finer nuances of the many faces of The Dude. We have all seen it so many times, we could quote it ad naseaum. And we did. We have watched endlessly. And yet, it was the most entertaining night I had all week.

And so, the point is, if you're going to be a part of the circle, one of the close-knit group, you're going to have to start memorizing the importance of statements like "That's why they send me, I'm expert."

As I type this, there is a Big Lebowski quote text game going with The Nuge.

3,000 years of beautiful tradition from Moses to Sandy Koufax, YOU'RE GODDAMNED RIGHT I'M LIVING IN THE PAST!

No comments: