Saturday, February 06, 2010

I love sugar. I really do. When I was a child, it was decided that I was hyperactive, and I would benefit from a sugar-free diet. I guess since I was not allowed sugar, it was all I wanted. I would steal apple juice from my little sister's bottle. I would trade stuff from my lunches for cookies and puddings at school. I loved it. I have a special affection for sugary breakfast treats. Honey Crisp (LOLz, I still call it Sugar Crisp out of habit). Blueberry Pop-Tarts. 7-Eleven french vanilla "cappuccino". Mmmm...it's my favorite.

I'm also trying to cut back on unhealthy calories. Empty. Useless. Pointless. I have been lazy about working out and lazy about eating right and now I'm getting back into uncomfortable territory. I threw out my fun sugar cereal for some Cheerios. They still have sugar, but it's lower down on the ingredient list.

I'm trying to avoid excess high fructose corn syrup. I'm not trying to exclude all sugars. I like fruit way too much for that. I'm talking about instead of a 300 calorie coffee drink, I've switched to 55 calorie breakfast blend with Splenda and 2% milk. I'm trying to avoid eating out crap food and making myself spinach salads with turkey bacon and Annie's raspberry vinaigrette. I'm trying to work out at least three times per week, and teaching class doesn't count as a workout.

If there's progress, I'll update you. I may also end up crying in the kitchen eating iced circus animal cookies by the fistful.

Que sera sera.

No comments: