Sunday, June 28, 2009

What do you do when the people you love are hurting? How do you ease their suffering?

My best friend's niece was killed yesterday night in a car accident. She was 18 years old. My best friend left for Jersey this morning to go be with her family. I can send flowers. I can go over to my best friend's house and take care of her kitties. I feel like there are a lot of little things I could do, but nothing will make it better.

I didn't even really know this child, only through stories. But I know how close she and my best friend were. And what of this child's mom? To lose your first born after only 18 years? To have to plan her funeral only weeks after you celebrated her high school graduation? How does someone do that? Does that pain ever end? The closest person to me I've ever lost is my grandma, and I don't think that really compares. Although I can tell you that still hurts every day. I can't even imagine losing your child.

I hope it happened quickly, and there was no pain. And I hope the family's suffering is bearable and subsides when it's supposed to.

I don't know how to make this better, so I just sit here and cry.

No comments: