Wednesday, March 19, 2008

in the spirit of the list, today, I offer you songs that compel you to raise your voice, to join in, to emote right along with the lead singer. I give you:

Top Ten All-Time Favorite Scream Along Songs

1) Joy Division - Digital. It doesn't get much more scream along than the part where Ian Curtis starts intoning "I see you fade away, don't ever fade away!" in his deep voice. I listened to this one 12 times yesterday, to and from work.


2) Foo Fighters - Monkey Wrench. For most of this song, Dave G. is just telling you about how he doesn't want to fuck stuff up and how he wants to be with you. Finally, at the end, we hear about how little he wanted and all the lies you told him. One last thing, before he quits.

3) Jets to Brazil - I Typed For Miles. Here's another one where the end really sells it. When he sings "You keep fucking up my life!", I back that part up repeatedly.

4) The Buzzcocks - Ever Fallen in Love. He's spurned. He's hurt. He's only wanting her to see that they're the same. And here is where the volume in the car is the deciding factor. Howard Devoto doesn't do too much hollering, to use a Texas term, but there are some definite scream-alongs in this one.

5) The Violent Femmes - Add It Up. The singer just wants to come mingle with your party. He likes everything about you. And all he wants is a kiss. Well, to start, anyway...

6) Bob Schneider - C'Mon Baby. From whispering to screaming, this is my favorite Bob song. I, too, just wanna shine as bright as Brooklyn on a Saturday night.

7) Dixie Chicks - Not Ready To Make Nice. What? How can you scream along with an ostensibly country song? Easy. The part where Natalie Maines tells you about she's been told to just shut up and sing? Yeah, scream your lungs out with her.

8) Nirvana - Territorial Pissings. There are all of about 20 words to this song. It is meant to be cranked. Once, my friend Merry and I had this on repeat all the way to Galveston. By the time we got there, I had no voice.

9) Linkin Park - The End. I know, I know. Rock-rap from the late nineties is not really my favorite genre. Nor do I really dig this band that much (although the play their own instruments and write their own songs, which is rarity these days). But this song? Yeah, his frustration is palpable. Because in the end, it doesn't even matter.

10) Dave Matthews Band - Halloween. Yeah, again, not really a band one thinks of screaming along to, unless you're thinking screaming like sorority girls and frat boys who love this band. I loved them, too. Deeply. 27 shows deeply. Tell Dave....are you satisfied with fucking? He wants you to not walk away. Don't walk away, Dave's talking to you.

No comments: