Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Are people really judged for having tattoos? I would think not in this day and age, seeing as some 25% of the population has tats.

And then I read stuff like this and its awesome comments, and I know better.

I try to articulate rational arguments as to why decorating yourself as you see fit is no one else's business. But, I get angry, and then I get flustered. It just boggles my mind that someone would assume that you're less than intelligent or that you're somehow beneath them. Do you think I am somehow less than fabulous because of my ink? Do you think I got them to be trendy? So people would think I'm cool? There are doctors with tats. Lawyers, teachers, scientists, and firemen, for that matter. Are they dense and trendy, too?

My tattoos are all very personal and important to me. I'll show them to anyone who asks, because, well, you asked. But they wouldn't mean much to anyone who's not me. Luckily, they're on me, so they're no one else's concern. They're my own little guide through the last 12 years. They're a map of me, for me.

If you don't like the way I look, then don't look at me. That seems simple enough.

No comments: