Friday, August 17, 2007

I'm going to let you in on a secret: I am not a natural redhead.

I color my hair. If this is truly shocking news to you, then you've obviously never seen me in person. Because hair doesn't generally come in natural shades of burgundy. So yeah, I'm a total fake when it comes to hair color.

Since red fades faster than any hair color, I use a lot of red-enhancing products. I have red shampoo, conditioner, something called "hair glaze", red demi-permanent gloss to use three weeks after I have colored my hair. So on and so forth. It's an ongoing and sometimes arduous process. But, one I undertake with a full understanding of the amount of maintenance involved.

Since I just got my hair colored last Friday, the past week, my bathroom has looked like a crime scene. There is red splashed everywhere! It's all over the tub. There's a pink haze cast over all the tile and grout. There are angry drips and drops on the shower curtain.

So, if you come to my house, and you're using my bathroom, and you peek behind the shower curtain to make sure that there isn't a serial killer hiding behind there (or, am I the only one who does that), please know that I did not actually murder someone in the shower.

No comments: