Friday, March 23, 2007

Judd Hollis first played "Smells Like Teen Spirit" for me. John Heineman introduced me to Pearl Jam, specifically, "Alive", in U of H's Law Hall. Jeremiah Shaw taught me hip hop, using Kool Moe Dee's "I Go To Work". Jean-Paul Contant was the first one to get me to listen to Depeche Mode. Suzanne Villareal taught me about the Cure. Sonja Smith taught me about Metallica. Adrian Segura taught me about Alan Jackson. Heather Helweg taught me about Brooks and Dunn. Tim Nichols taught me James Taylor. My mom taught me about the Beatles. Shayna Dunn taught me about Dave Matthews Band. My Nanny taught me about Motown. Merry taught me about the Sex Pistols. Joe Nelson introduced me to the Scabs, which got me into Bob Schneider. Bebe Gunns made the Lily Allen cd that is my current obsession.

Basically, most of the music I have loved in my life, I was led to. I've discovered a few things on my own. Some of them, I had a passing knowledge of. As in, I knew they existed. But these people actually got me to *listen* to these artists and songs. I am grateful to all these people and any I forgot to name for broadening my horizons, aurally speaking.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lilly Allen huh. Interesting, Someone has receintly spoke to about her. Aperarently She was at SXSW this year.
I'm off to the Asylum street Spankers tonight.

#murduac said...

http://www.myspace.com/amywinehouse

oh yeah