Monday, January 02, 2006


Run away! Run away!


I hope you and yours made it through to 2006 safe and sound. I have today off, so I am going to clean up both myself and my domicile.

Do you make resolutions? I don't really. I just don't quite understand it. If you want to make changes in your life, why do you need the end of a calendar year to be a starting point? Can't you just say, "Hey, I'm kind of a [insert perceived personality quirk here]. I think I will stop that now." What changes from 11:59pm one night to 12:01am the immediate, following day? Apart from two minutes passing, not much. It's a blanket excuse to cram as many misdeeds into the last two weeks of December as possible. And usually, by January 5th, you're mad at yourself for breaking the new rules already. So, here's my resolution: if I am doing something that sucks, I will stop immediately. Not at the end of next winter. Not when the confetti shoots out of the air gun and the corks of the cheapest sparkling wine start to explode. Not when everyone starts to sing "Auld Lang Syne", but doesn't really know the words or the meanings. But right away. We'll call it my All Year Resolutions.

No comments: