Monday, December 29, 2008

We all know I like to sing in the car. The thing is, I don't always get the lyrics right. I just kind of roll with it.

Oh, did you know that misheard lyrics actually have a name? Yeah, they're called mondegreens. I asked Smang and The Mexican theirs last night. My final Top 10 this year is:

Top Ten Misheard Song Lyrics That I Sing That Way Anyway:

10) Gwen Stefani - I Ain't No Hollaback Girl
"'Cuz I ain't no Harlem Black Girl" actual lyric "'Cuz I ain't no hollaback girl." I don't know why I thought Gwen would be so confused about her ethnicity and heritage.

9) Foo Fighters - Learn To Fly
"I'm looking to this guy to save me" actual lyric "I'm looking to the sky to save me." What guy is gonna save Dave G?

8) Chumbawumba - Tub Thumpin'
"I get touchdowns, then I get up again, and you're never gonna keep me down" actual lyric "I get knocked down, then I get up again..." My nephew sang it wrong once to me. I hear it that way forever more.

7) The Star Spangled Banner - Francis Scott Key
"Boosabah and bright stah" actual lyric "whose broad stripes and bright stars." This one is Tiffanerd. When she was a tiny thing, and learning her national anthem, she sang it this way. I hear this in my head every single time I hear the anthem.

6) If You're Gonna Play In Texas - Alabama
"When a cowboy in the back stood up and yelled 'cock-eyed Joe'" actual lyric "when a cowboy in the back stood up and yelled 'Cotton Eyed Joe!' Once again, my baby seester thought those were the lyrics and now, to me, they are.

5) Fall Out Boy - Suga We're Going Down
"We're going down, down in an Indian ground" actual lyric "We're going down, down in an earlier round". Don't dig on reservations, Pete Wentz!

4) The Clash - Rock The Casbah
"Shaleni don't like it!" actual lyric "Sharif don't like it!" A guy I worked with at The Mac Shack sang it this way to me.

3) Kings of Leon - McFearless
"I must own with my woe. Not a fan, here I stand. It's my bowl. It's my woe!" actual lyrics "I must go with my soul. Not my hand where I stand. It's my role, it's my soul". Yeah, if you can always understand Caleb Followill, you're better than I am.

2) Pearl Jam - Black
"All the bitches sad, all been washed in black." actual lyric "All the pictures have been washed in black." I just this week learned the correct lyric to this song.

1) Manfred Mann - Blinded By the Light
"Revved up like a douche, another runner in the night." actual lyric "Revved up like a deuce, another runner in the night." Everyone sings "revved up like a douche". Everyone.

No comments: