Tuesday, May 29, 2007

last night, I was talking with a woman about how we felt about getting older. She's turning 40 this year. I am only going to be 33. She seemed to be okay with it. She was talking about all the traveling she's doing, leading up to her birthday. She's already rented a villa in Portugal. Holy crap, that sounds awesome! A villa!

I was so depressed about turning 30, just three short years ago. Granted, I was also getting divorced and moving, all at the same time. I had a lot of shit going on.

But, as I get older, I find that calm that comes with age. I don't mean that I have calmed down. We all know that ain't the case! I mean that there comes with age a certain ease with living. I don't know if it's the case for everyone. But for me, it certainly is.

A woman in her twenties is the definition of change. Trying to find her way in the world. Trying to decide what type of woman she's going to be. Trying to figure it all out. Throw in the fact that women in their twenties are usually finishing college, getting married and having babies and living lives and it's a flipped out, messed up kind of time in life.

Once your thirties roll in, you're usually more settled into an existence. You're more comfortable in your own skin. You're more at ease with yourself. You've probably settled into a career. You've got financial responsibilities. And women in their thirties are in their prime. I say this knowing that this is the best it's ever going to be, from, let's say, 34 to 39. Those are the women who are sexy.

Has anyone ever looked at a 23-year-old in booty shorts and wedges and said "she's so sexy!"? No. They say "she's cute" or even "she's HOT!", but she's not sexy. Jessica Alba excluded, of course. But let's take a look at a 32-year-old woman, just chillin' with her son.


I know she's been made up for a photo shoot, and lit and airbrushed and color-corrected and I think that picture might have even been taken when she was in her late twenties. Blah blah blah. Look how serene she is. And that, boys and girls, makes her sexy. That, and her gorgeous eyes and ridiculous lips.

My point to all this rambling is this: like fine wine, we're getting better with age.

Or, put a bajillion times more beautifully: It takes courage to grow up and become who you really are. ~e.e. cummings

/justification

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Has anyone ever looked at a 23-year-old in booty shorts and wedges and said "she's so sexy!"?

-Yes.

Anonymous said...

Interesting and Deep but I've always had a thing for older women. Despite my history.